Sunday, October 29, 2006

New acrylics, new developments

Friday night I was all gung ho about getting home and working dilligently on paintings until the wee hours. BUT, I ended up buying a six pack of Guinness Draft and drank half of those in the saloon while listening to L.E.O, an E.L.O. ripoff album put together by Boston song writer Bleu and a slew of other famous/semi-famous people.

Somewhere in my idle swilling the phrase "Happy birthday, Thanos" popped into my head. I chuckled. I read Marvel comics religiously as a kid. Thanos is a super villain from the pages of various Marvel titles.

You can read up on him here, get a little background if you want. The Mad Titan

If you don't feel like reading up on a blue-skinned super villain who lives on a moon of Saturn, just know that he was once hired by Death herself to thin out half the universe's population. The thought of him having a birthday party is pretty funny.
As soon as I painted his mouth on I actually audibly laughed.

He's in the Acrylics section psyched as all hell for his cake.

www.hookermedia.com

Friday was good for commissions. I was approached by the Appreciation Postto do their next album cover, a friend's mom asked me to do a portrait of her husband, I'm continuing work on a Boston cityscape painting for a blogger named Lewis and a friend of mine who recently moved back to MA after a stint as a ski instructor in CO hired me for a large winter landscape for his living room.

Yesterday Jenny and I hit up the Roxbury open studios and the monsoon that hit MA, coupled with a shitty map showing where other studios were, kept us confined to the Piano Factory on Tremont st. The people there were all welcoming and seemed excited to have us there checking out the work. I talked for nearly an hour with Bernice Robinson, the general manager of Paul Goodnight's Color Circle reproduction company.

If you haven't seen Paul Goodnight's work already then you really should check his site and get acquainted. It was pretty amazing hanging out amongst thousands of prints and original pieces strewn about casually. Bernice explained the process of gold leafing to me and I was invited to touch the gold leafing on limited edition prints that Paul is currently working on. It was wierd putting my mitts on pieces of paper that will sell at the ... bargain.. price of $2,500.

www.paulgoodnight.com

Afterwards I went to the Art Store in Fenway and bought canvases and picked up gold leafing to try on pieces of my own.




Jesus. All these words call for a few pictures. Without further adieu, here are a couple things I'm working on currently....

Here's Tony, my friend's father....



And here's a rough version of what is shaping up to be Lewis' cityscape...





Happy birthday, Thanos.

5 Comments:

Blogger To Be Announced said...

The cityscape is amazing!!

And I'm really glad I'm not the only one who busts out the phrase "gung ho" sometimes. :)

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanos' face is priceless.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're so good at this blogging thing!

happy birthday thanos! heh. that painting made me laugh out loud. he looks wicked psyched like it's the second time he's seen cake and he just realized what it was.

i love the tony painting. what a dear face.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The painting looks great. Look forward to seeing how it finishes up!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Hooker said...

I plan on really taking time with the buildings. The lights take forever to do.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home