Thursday, October 12, 2006

All your Cliff Burton are belong to us UPDATED

My paintings have adorned (stagnantly hung with no one interested in buying) in my apartments for the last six years. Naturally, all my friends have seen them. Everyone picks their favorites, and every other time they visit they drunkenly point a bottle towards whichever their favorite is and slur "I swear to fucking God, dude... I'm buying that one from you" until earlier this year no one has actually went home with one.

The first person to actually follow through was my roomate's sister. Then the singer of a band who recorded at the house studio. Then my buddy Hoga. Then Jenny. And now my buddy Murf.

Hoga. Murf. Welcome to Massachusetts. We hack last names into nicknames that make you sound refined and classy when you scream them across a bar room.

So everyone... here's Murf.

Murf singing with my band years ago...



For at least two years Murf has been saying "Dude, I want a painting of Cliff Burton" and I'd dismiss it as yet another friend of mine making a wish list, but not actually following through. I see him painfully too seldom. We both have shitty work schedules and love men.

If you don't know who Cliff Burton was, he played bass in a little band called Metallica from 1982 until 1986... the year he was killed in a bus accident while the band was on tour.

Murf has been aware of the paintings I've done lately. He brought up Cliff yet again in an email a few weeks ago. We both forgot about it soon after. Yet again.

THEN the 20th anniversary of Cliff's death came this year on September 27. So one magical night I texted Murf with the message "All your Cliff Burton are belong to us."

For whatever reason, that got the ball rolling. So he sent me a reference picture...



We chose a suitable size for the awesomeness of Cliff.

(3x4 feet)

Then I got started.

So without further adieu here is the beginning of the Cliff Burton series. Enjoy.

Here's the first slop of shadows that I usually start with on big pieces like this.



Here we have a bit more blocks of background and shadows. Still very loose yet.



Here I started the most dreaded part of all guitarist paintings: the frets. Still very loose blocks.



Here's what I did today before I had to hit the doctor's office to check out my infected jaw/face/head.

I'd be much closer to being finished if our house wasn't a hotel for wayward parents. Every roomate, including myself, who's parents live out of state have gotten visits in the past week and my office is also the guestroom. I'm gonna relocate into the saloon until the parent summit is over.


CLIFF



I'm excited about Cliff. I was such a huge Metallica fan as a kid that I might have trouble giving this one up when it's done.

R.I.P. Cliff.

I moved my operation into the saloon tonight. Here's my workspace so far:



Cliiiiff.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that might be your best musician painting yet.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Hooker said...

hopefully when it's done it will be.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy shit matt... that is unreal.

-murf

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home